Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 1: Powai, Mumbai, India.

Week 1: My Favorite Place


Powai, Mumbai, India. I was born and raised in Oklahoma but parents did send me to India for four year to study and become more aware about my heritage. I lived in a boarding school near a town called Valsad, which was about 3 hours away from Mumbai. Every chance I received, I would go and visit a small suburban neighborhood in the outskirts of Mumbai called Powai. Even though Powai was located in the fastest developing city in India, the neighborhood itself was one the most peaceful and relaxing places. It helped me get my mind off of my boarding school stress and the homesickness I felt for my friends and family. Going to boarding school in India taught me a lot about my heritage and culture. I learned new things everyday about the food, people, and religion. I couldn't be more thankful to my parents for sending me to India and giving me a hands on chance to learn about my culture.




The Powai neighborhood in Mumbai, India. Source: Wikimedia Commons.

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing opportunity your parents gave you, Neeral - wow! Going to school in India... and near Mumbai. How fabulous! I will be so excited to see what things you learned from your years in India to share with the class. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I already commented on your introduction, i'll comment on this post this week. Good post! This is actually really cool and I know this might not be the exact view you were looking at as a little kid in Powai, but this seems like such a cool concept. I wish I could see what you were actually looking at as a kid in Powai. A small town on the outskirts of a big one that's just overlooking all the chaos and ruckus from the city, it's almost like your own personal hideout spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to boarding school in India is an incredible opportunity, and I think it is awesome that you put that as your favorite place. I think it is important to learn about your families history and culture, especially if it is not where you grew up. I completely understand the beauty and peace of suburbs of big cities. I think they give you a chance to relax and just take in the beauty of life.

    ReplyDelete