Sunday, November 16, 2014

Week 13 Storytelling: Jayadratha's Death

Arjuna is informed of the death of his beloved friend Uttara. Uttara was trapped behind enemy lines by Jayadratha and finished off by the Kauravas. At first, Arjuna was in shock and just stood still in awe of what had happened. He has lost someone that he had really grown close to and has considered one of his best friends. This really angers Arjuna and he promises to avenge Uttara’s death by killing Jayadratha. He was so angry that he vowed not to sleep till he has avenged one of his best friends.

Krishna asks Arjuna to take a seat and calm down after seeing all the anger in Arjuna’s eyes. Scared Arjuna might do something abruptly, he says, “ You must not let the anger get the best of you. Do not make a hasty mistake.”

Arjuna replies, “ What do you mean? I am just doing what is right by avenging my friend’s death. That barbaric king of Sindhu, Jayadratha, managed to trap him and then allowed for the Kauravas to kill him. ”

Krishna replies, “I am not saying you should not avenge your friend. I am just saying you are being hasty and should wait and listen to this story.”

The story begins.

It was the day that Jayadratha was born. His father was so excited. He had finally received his life-long dream, a son. He stepped outside just to get some fresh air when he saw an owl. His first thought was, “How dare an owl come here on such a great day?” He took his bow and arrow and beheaded the owl.

Before the owl passed away, he said, “You may have taken my life today by cutting my head off, but your son will meet the same fate that I have met.”

The father thought to himself, “What have I done? I have brought my son’s death to be by being beheaded. How horrible of me!” While thinking this, he went to his son and said, “ I curse the person that beheads you. He will have his head burst as soon as your head hits the ground.”

After finishing this story, Krishna says, “So you must outsmart this curse. Make sure to be careful to not let this curse hurt you.”


Arjuna had heard Krishna out, but the anger still boiled inside of him. He got in his chariot and drove to where he knew Jayadratha was. He cut off Jayadratha’s chariot, trying to stop him. They both got out and started fighting with their swords. Arjuna’s anger allowed him to win and behead Jayadratha, but knowing that he shouldn’t allow Jayadratha’s head to fall. So, he took out his bow and arrow and hit Jayadratha’s head in a manner that made the head fly right into the lap of Jayadratha’s father, who was praying for Jayadratha’s safety during the battle close by. Unaware of what had just happened, Jayadratha’s father stands up and the head falls to the floor and immediately Jayadratha’s father’s head bursts.
Jayadratha's death. Source: Wikimedia commons.
Bibliography

Buck, William (1973). Mahabharata.


Author’s note


I chose this story because I had never heard this story and this story really was interesting. I felt as though this story had a really great message that needs to be taught to kids. Jayadratha’s father had placed the curse to keep his safe son, but in the end Jayadratha gets killed and his father was hurt by the curse too. I felt as though this curse was placed for selfish reasons and that is why the curse didn’t work out. The curse almost came back to hurt Jayadratha’s father and kill him since he had used the curse for selfish purposes. The result was almost like karma because anything done in a selfish manner or done to hurt someone can come back to hurt one’s self. I wrote this story in this manner because I feel as though Krishna is wiser and all-knowing (being the re-incarnation of god, Vishnu). I feel like he would be one to know about the curse placed by Jayadratha’s father compared to Arjuna or anyone else and he is always looking out for Arjuna’s best interest throughout the war. I had a great time writing about this story and hope the moral teaches children to never do things for selfish purposes or in bad faith.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Neeral,
    I really like the way you wrote this story. I had never heard it either.
    I totally agree with the message you found in the story. Karma will always catch up. And it certainly caught up with Jayadratha's father.
    You did a great job using enough detail to make it interesting but not too overpowering. I really enjoyed reading it! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Neeral Lal! I really enjoed reading your work like usual and I thought you did an excellent job of telling the story. I have to agree with you on your moral of the story. Things have a way of coming back to you especially if steps were taken in a selfish manner. Overall I thought it was a smooth read and I will be back to read more.

    ReplyDelete