Thursday, October 30, 2014

Week 11: Shiva's anger.

One day as Parvati, Shiva’s wife, was home alone because Shiva had gone to visit Brahma and Kartikeya, their son, was at a friend’s house. She wanted to go take a bath, but was worried that someone might come into the house during her bath. So, she got to thinking. What could she possibly do? Then, an idea finally came to her. She made a son out of mud that was outside her house and named him Ganesha. She gave him strict orders to not let anyone inside the house. After giving him these orders, she goes inside to take her bath.

Shiva was just returning from Brahma’s house, when Ganesha stopped him. Ganesha said, “ Sir, you may not go inside.”

Shiva angrily, yelled, ”Who are you to tell me I can’t go inside my own house?”

Ganesha still calm, replied, “ I have been given strict orders not to let anyone in.”

Shiva was annoyed and infuriated, so without a second thought took his sword and cut off Ganesha’s head. Parvati, who had heard all the commotion that was going on outside, had just walked outside and saw her son’s head on the floor.

Parvati just stood there with tears in her eyes, and said, “ What have you done? I had made him with my own two hands. He was guarding the house, while I was taking a bath. How could you do this? You cut his head off and ended his life, even before I got to show you him.”

Shiva thought to himself, “ How was I supposed to know who he was? He could have been anyone. He could have been an intruder for all I know. “

After looking at Ganesha’s body on the floor, Parvati couldn’t take it anymore. She ran to her room crying her eyes out.

Shiva thought to himself, “How can I fix this? There has to be a way to fix this situation and bring him back. Maybe, I should go back to Brahma’s house and ask him for help.”

He went over to Brahma’s house and asked him for a solution. Brahma had his servants sent out to look for any creature sleeping with its head facing north. His servants looked everywhere, but only found an elephant that was sleeping while facing north. So, they cut off the elephant’s head and took it back to Shiva and Brahma. They placed it on Ganesha’s body and restored life.  Shiva then took Ganesha back to Parvati. Seeing how much Parvati loved Ganesha, he said from that day forward Ganesha would be considered their son.

 
Ganesh, Shiva and Parvati. Source: Wikimedia Commons.


Bibliography

Buck, William (1973). Mahabharata. 

Author’s Note


I really liked this story because it teaches people that anger can get the best of people and sometimes people need to know how to control their anger. It also talks about one of the oldest Hindu superstitions, which is that one should never sleep with their head facing North or West.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, Neeral! What an interesting story! I love how there is a lesson to be learned from this story and at the same time, it was told in such an interesting and easy to read way. As you included in the author’s note, it also included a Hindu superstition so kudos to you for including a fun extra fact. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neeral,

    Great job on your story! I liked how you included that small part of the superstition. I had no idea that this was a superstition and that you're not supposed to sleep with your head facing the North or the West. In my culture we have a superstition where we aren't allowed to sleep with our feet facing the picture of our current Imam. I really liked the way you worded your story. It was simple and very to the point. I wasn't confused at all and it was easy to follow along the order of the events.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neeral,
    What a great story to retell. I really like the character of Ganesha and his role in other Indian myths so I think this story was a great choice. You did a great job telling the story while providing the necessary information needed to the reader. It was short, sweet and to the point. Overall great job and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Neeral!
    Great choice or your storytelling! I love Ganesha so I really liked that you wrote about him do well. I also liked that your story had a moral. It reminds me of traditional fairy tales or stories that have been handed down to teach a lesson. I feel like you did a really good job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Neelun! I really enjoyed reading your version of the story where Ganesh’s head was cut off. It always interesting on seeing other peoples take on that story because there are multiple versions. I remember watching that scene as a kid on Zee TV. Overall you did a great job on retelling that story and I hope to be coming back and reading more! kachro.

    ReplyDelete